COVERS FOR BOOKS

...................................................................................................................

9 Dec 2009

Fugitive Pieces




A book by Anne Michael’s about a boy who escapes the murder of his family during the Holocaust by hiding in a hollow wall. He is rescued and begins a new life in Zakynthos, Greece. My picture is about The boy (Joseph) remembering his sister (Bella) whose presence and music follow him throughout his life.












“My sister had long outgrown the hiding place. Bella was fifteen and even I admitted she was beautiful, with heavy brows and magnificent hair like black syrup, thick and luxurious, a muscle down her back. “A work of art,” our mother said, brushing it for her while Bella sat in a chair. I was still small enough to vanish behind the wallpaper in the cupboard, cramming my head sideways between choking plaster and beams, eyelashes scraping.”

No comments:

Post a Comment